Thursday, August 21, 2014

August 20: Police, Security, Secret Service

     Today Dan and I are on our own as Ron's convention gets underway.  We did the subway thing again and started with visits to some of the downtown attractions. 
     We began with the Ford Theater which is famous for being the place where President Lincoln got shot in the head by John Wilkes Booth.  We saw the presidential booth where Lincoln was enjoying a play when the murder transpired.  It was kind of somber being there.  I was struck by the huge contrast in security between the flimsy door that stood between Lincoln and his assassin compared to the heavily fortified steel door that protects the presidential suite at the Kennedy Center.
     I had thought the International Spy Museum might be one of the most interesting sites in D.C., but that was before I learned it cost $20.00 to get in.  No thanks.  I'm getting used to paying $0.00 for most of the attractions.  (Later in the day, I did get a little taste of the intrigue and humor of the spy world when I stopped in at the International Spy Museum Store.  It was free.)
     We walked by Chinatown while working our way to the National Museum of Fine Arts and Portrait Gallery.  We had to wait a half-hour for the gallery to open up for the day, but we were entertained by some kind of police action going on across the street.  I would estimate there were about 30 cops there, about 10 Fire Department people, 8 patrol cars, a big search and rescue vehicle, some kind of armored police vehicle, 3 police bicycles--and three anti-fracking protesters.  At first we could not believe it took that much fire power to monitor the actions of three peaceful demonstrators carrying little homemade signs.  Finally, we heard somebody say there was a bomb scare.  Yes, I could see having a strong police presence for searching out and dismantling a bomb.  However, they were all just standing around, and I mean just doing nothing except talking and laughing with other cops.  Some occasionally spoke into their police radios.  Some lit up cigarettes.
     Once inside the gallery, we split up to enjoy the art at our own pace.  There was a lot of great stuff there--modern and traditional--but it was also a great history lesson.  I thought it had far more interesting and useful historical information than the Smithsonian's American History Museum.  I was also very interested in the portraits and biographies of people considered to be "cool."  Some of the "cool" people were not so cool in my opinion, but there's no need to stir up THAT debate here.

                                       A painting of the northern lights (aurora borealis)


     I went back down to the capitol building next.  Dan had gone there about 30 minutes earlier.  I didn't get into the capitol, but I did learn that the figure on top of the dome is NOT George Washington as I had surmised in yesterday's post.  Not only that, the figure is not even a man . . . and she isn't facing the Washington Monument.  I guess I should have been wearing my glasses yesterday so I could have saved myself the embarrassment of having to write this correction.


     Behind the capitol is the Supreme Court Building where Chief "Justice" John Roberts and his gang of nine go to work.  In this building, they listen to legal arguments with an open mind and then dispense "justice" based on precedent, wisdom and logic.  I can't believe I finished typing that last sentence without bursting out in crazed laughter.  From my perspective, their version of "justice" is the version defined by the political party of the president who appointed them.
     I didn't get inside the Halls of "Justice."  There were just too many armed security guards who were clearly prepared to tackle or shoot me if I tried to make a run for the building.  It was like that at the capitol building too.

Note the security guards making sure "justice" is served.
 

     Now that I had visited the Legislative and Judicial Branches of our government, I determined that I should see where the work of the Executive Branch takes place.
     I walked 24 blocks to President Barack Obama's house.  There has been a lot of turnover at the White House over the years.  Every president except George Washington has lived and worked there.  It is the oldest public building in the city.  Yet it is beautifully maintained--just as all of D.C.'s government buildings are.
     The White House has a tall, black wrought iron fence all the way around it and, of course, there are many, many police and security personnel as well.  Plus, there is the Secret Service.  I got the distinct impression that I was not going to be able to drop in to visit Barack unannounced.

                White House security checkpoint.  Try avoiding the Secret Service here.

                                                     They just won't let me in.

Anti-war protester who has been on duty in front of the White House 24 hours a day since 1981


     All three branches of government now covered, I stopped at the Gordon Biersch Brewing Co. for a pint of ale and a sandwich.  After a long day of walking, it was nice to sit down and relax in a setting with no security agents around.
     I met back up with Dan.  On our way to the subway station, we both commented on the incredible number of interesting museums, galleries, statues, monuments, theaters, stadiums, historic sites and government bureaus housed in magnificent buildings there are.  It would take a solid month of full-time touring to see it all.  I missed having my bike.  With that I could probably do it in two weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment